In today’s market, there are countless technological trends impacting the hospitality industry and with so many to choose from it can get overwhelming on where to start. These technologies range from complex to implement to quick solution for instant impact. eSignatures is a quick implementation and big impact but it appears as if they are being slow to adopt.
Historically, the Guest Registration Form has been the most significant document in the hotel as it somewhat serves as the “contract” between the guest and the establishment. It is also used to cross-reference against any information in the hotel property management system. A hotel without a signed registration form would be most concerning, as the guest could dispute charges, and / or having even stayed at the property at all. With eSignature, not only is your guest registration streamlined, there are many other benefits for your hotel including:
Welcome to a beautiful, blooming Spring. Thought it was time for a quick 2015 wrap-up and beyond for RoomKeyPMS. As the hotel industry continues to bloom, with STR recording positive results for the April. In year-over-year measurements industry performance is rising in all 3 top indictors:
- Occupancy: rose 4.3 percent to 69.8 percent.
- Average daily rate (ADR): rose 6.5 percent to US$120.07.
- Revenue per available room (RevPAR): rose 11 percent to US$83.86.
RoomKeyPMS continues to Grow
Since our last new newsletter, RoomKeyPMS has continued to grow and adding new people to our team including:
The core of all hotels is their Property Management System (PMS). To change that PMS can be a lengthy and if not done properly, a costly experience. This change has even been equated to a root canal. Just as no one wakes up one day and says “it’s time for a root canal” when they have no symptoms of pain, no hotelier decides to change their PMS without any existing pain. There are roughly 5 pain points that trigger a change in the PMS including:
1. End of life for your current system
2. Debranding your hotel and need to replace your PMS
3. Constructing a new hotel
4. Current system is lacking features you need
5. Current system does not integrate with the products that you use to operate your property
When starting your PMS search, prepare yourself because it can be a long process. There are as many as 50 PMS providers that result from a “Property Management System” search in Google. It’s recommended from Hotelier oriented websites to limit your search to 5-10 options although the options are endless. The range of PMS solutions is as extensive as the number of companies. There are solutions that are expensive and have an extensive list of features while others are inexpensive however lack functionality. Finding the right level of functionality for your property should be the focus of the search as this could save you time and money once implemented.
So how can you prepare yourself? To start, perform a needs analysis for your property. Determine what you need to interface to, what reporting you are looking for, your budget and functionality each department requires. (more…)
TripAdvisor remains to be one of the most popular and largest travel sites in the industry, and is continuing to gain momentum. Every hotelier wants to know how to use this platform to attract more guests to your property. Here’s a little more about TripAdvisor:
- More than 190 million reviews and opinions from travelers around the world
- More than 4.4 million businesses and properties in 145,000+ destinations, including:
- 890,000+ hotels, B&Bs, and specialty lodging
- Nearly 650,000+ vacation rentals
- 2.4 million restaurants
- 480,000+ attractions
- More than 26 million candid traveler photos.
- More than 115 new contributions are posted every minute
- More than 70 million emailable members worldwide
- On average, nearly 2,600 new topics are posted every day to the TripAdvisor forums
Here are some tips to maximize your exposure to TripAdvisor: (more…)
RoomKeyPMS would like to congratulate SkyWire, our POS partner with their recent win as one of the Top 20 Most
Innovative Gaming Technology Products Awards for 2014 for their Mobile Connect Suite technology.
The winning companies and their products will be showcased in the September issue of Casino Journal. The awards will be handed out at the Casino Marketing & Technology Conference, slated for July 14-16 at the Rio in Las Vegas. Entries from industry vendors showcasing their newest, most creative products and were decided by a panel of expert judges including: (more…)
The Boutique Hotel model is more popular than ever and the big brands are taking notice in this segment. The brands see the value in the Boutique segment and want to cash in on the travelers attracted to this type of guest experience. With this segment increasing in popularity, a recent Hotel News Now article set out to define this market concluded that:
- Boutique: Unique in style, design-centric, either independent or affiliated with a smaller brand system, with 40 to 300 guestrooms.
- Lifestyle brands: Prescribed franchised products that are adapted to reflect current trends.
- Soft brands: Individualized hotels that give owners and operators the opportunity to affiliate with a major chain distribution while retaining their unique design, name and orientation.
What you need know — when, who and at what cost?
There has always been a hate/love relationship between online travel agencies (OTAs) and hoteliers sometimes even considered as a ‘necessary evil’. But what do you need to know when working with OTAs? Let’s discuss and you can decide if it’s a friend or foe.
1. How to determine if you need an OTA and when to start?
To determine if your property needs an OTA depends on many factors including location of your hotel, percentage of return guests, business vs leisure travelers, size of your property as well as your occupancy overall percentage. You may be running 90% + occupancy in your high season, in this case do you really need reservations from OTAs during that time period?
Things to keep in mind when considering the decision to work with an OTA:
- You will pay 10-30% commissions on each reservation received through that OTA
- OTAs have large Google Adwords budget and can provide you with a greater online presence
- OTAs require rate parity which means same rates and same availability across all websites; however this can be negotiable in your contract
As a proud supporter of our hotelier partner, we are happy to feature Martin Resorts this week, as travelers book easy with Martin Resorts. From wine country to oceanfront paradise, Martin Resorts’ premier hotels stretch California’s Central Coast.
In a downtown garden setting, the historic Paso Robles Inn is situated in beautiful Paso Robles Wine Country. The Paso Robles Inn is still the only Paso Robles hotel offering its guests the healing powers of mineral water with private hot spring tubs on the balcony or in the bath of its Deluxe Mineral Spa Rooms. Experience wine country the moment you enter your room by staying in vintner’s row in one of the 18 newly renovated Winery Themed Deluxe Mineral Spa Rooms featuring enhanced wine décor and complimentary wine tasting at the vineyards. After a day of wine tasting, guests can eat dinner at the Paso Robles Inn Steakhouse featuring Certified Angus Beef entrées. The Paso Robles Inn offers complimentary Wi-Fi, dog-friendly rooms, electric car charging stations and event spaces.
Located just steps from the sand and surf of the Pacific Ocean in Avila Beach, Avila Lighthouse Suites is an all-suite hotel offering comfortable and stylish guest suites in an unmatched location. Guests can enjoy a dip in the heated oceanfront pool and Jacuzzi or relax with a massage at the on-property spa. The Avila Lighthouse Suites offers complimentary Wi-Fi, complimentary expanded continental breakfast, covered parking, electric car charging stations, and event spaces.
As 2014 came to a close, it was an exciting year to be a part of RoomKeyPMS and the hospitality industry as a whole. President and COO of STR Amanda Hite is forecasting a record setting end to 2014 with average daily rate and revenue per available room both expected to end at the highest rates that STR has seen since its inception in 1987 and occupancy ending at 64.4%, an industry level not seen since 1996.
The STR predictions for 2015 are looking even brighter for the hospitality industry including:
- Occupancy to rise 1.1% to 65.1 percent
- ADR to increase 5.0 percent to US$121.37
- RevPAR to grow 6.2 percent to US$79.06
- Demand is expected to increase 2.4 percent
- Supply is predicted to increase 1.3 percent in 2015
As the hospitality industry is ended off year on a high note, so did RoomKeyPMS. 2014 was another memorable year (more…)
RoomKeyPMS would like to congratulate our partner Guestfolio in their recent win of World’s Leading Hotel CRM (Customer Relationship Management) Technology Provider 2014 by World Travel Awards.
Hailed as the “Oscars” of the travel industry, the World Travel Awards recognises companies, organisations and brands that push the boundaries of industry excellence. Guestfolio enables hoteliers to better engage with their guests from booking to well after check-out. (more…)